Sunday, September 20, 2009

MassArt work

While at MassArt, I tried to experiment with different media as much as possible: watercolor, gouache, acrylic, scratchboard and even 3-D (sculptural) illustration.


3-D illustration was very experimental and time consuming. There were a lot of things I had to learn and research on my own about sculpting, building the sets for the backgrounds, lighting and photography. 3-D illustration doesn’t exist until you get a really good photograph. It might take hours and hours to get that perfect (or almost perfect) shot. Even though people seem to respond to 3-D illustration, I don’t think this is for me. Yes, I agree that the results are interesting and unusual, but there are so many things that are not there.


With 2-D illustration (paintings) I can have more dynamic compositions, more mature and sophisticated color and the incomparable experience of painting, creating the world on a flat piece of paper. There is something about painting that gives me the biggest satisfaction. While working a project, when I finally get to the color studies and painting (after spending hours on thumbnails and sketches), I feel the most engaged and fulfilled.


At MassArt I settled on gouache as my medium of choice, though I was not completely happy with the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment