Wednesday, March 3, 2010

NEW SKETCHES












I just discovered a new and fun way to sketch. I made a whole new sketchbook with different color toned paper in it. First I use my favorite sketching tool -- a brush pen (Kuretake Fountain Brush Pen) (with waterproof ink), then I paint with gouache, trying to leave the color of the toned paper as a middle tone (wasn't that successful so far).

I'm always looking for new ways to sketch and keep myself interested. Sure, I'd love to come up with beautiful, accurate and imaginative sketches just out of my head. To get there though, I need to pay attention to observational drawing. I figured out a way (for now) to combine those two approaches. I look through my numerous photography books and magazines that have a lot of photos of places, people, animals, etc, etc. I pick a photograph that catches my eye and try to figure out how I can sketch the subject, but put a little imaginative twist into it (observation+imagination). It could be combining some unrelated objects, or playing with silhouette, shape, color, light/dark, lost edges, and who knows what else. That keeps me interested and fulfills my goal at getting better at drawing and building my visual memory.
This type of sketching is enjoyable and stressless.

No comments:

Post a Comment